Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fried or scrambled?


Well, they say that a watched pot never boils, but did you know that a watched hen lays an egg? Yep, after working all day in the garden today our "day's wage" was 2 eggs. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon when there was lots of chatter and clucking among the ladies of the coop. I mean squawking like never before. Then it got quiet. I quickly went to the nesting hatch doors to take a peek. There was a hen in one of the boxes. This is the first time I have actually seen anything in one of those boxes. So, I ran in to get my camera and came back to see if she was still there. There she sat. She was sort of panting with her beak, no noise just the motion. Then after several pictures, I closed the door and waited. Next, she got up and started squawking again. Just hollering and telling the others what she had done. It was so obvious what was going on. All of them were LOUDLY chanting "cluck, cluck, cluck, SQUAWK, cluck.... etc." Then after the chatter settled down, it happened again at about 5:00 or so. I could totally relate to these girls as the ladies of my house had to call all of their lady friends and spread the good news, too.

The pictures of the eggs are to show sizes. The dark egg on the right is a store bought LARGE egg. Ours is the light colored one on the left. The reason we have brown egg layers is because Blake thinks brown eggs taste better. So whatever works for him is fine... I just love to see the boys eat them.

Trivia question answered:
Are brown eggs more nutritious than white eggs? No, the color of the shell is simply determined by the breed of chicken you have. As a general rule, hens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs and those with white ear lobes lay white eggs. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but just a few.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Red lobe chicken's. The kids look great and this is something they will always remember. Good luck on the the grass on the back 40.
    ME

    ReplyDelete